Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It's Been Nearly Three Weeks And A Lot of Stuff Has Happened... - Part Two

*Continued from Part One*

On the Saturday, I went to Omiya Station to meet up with Natsumi and two other friends, Misaki and Yukina, whom were also exchange students at my university. Unfortunately, our friend Saki had other plans, so she couldn't join us that day. *le sad*

Also, purikura photo booths are amazing and I love them and I wish they had them in New Zealand.


Sunday saw Yumi-chan and her father taking me to a lovely little traditional Japanese restaurant and then to Okutama Lake in Tokyo.

So, after a wonderful 5 days in Saitama, it was time for me to go on my next big adventure: the trip to Otaru, Hokkaido, to begin my university exchange. After a tearful goodbye to Yumi-chan at Haneda airport, and an hour and a half long flight, I finally arrived at New Chitose Airport and met with my tutor, Riko, who brought along the cutest chocolate animals I've ever seen in my life.


Overlooking the city from the gates of Shodai.

The izakaya that Riko and I went to the first night of my stay in Otaru

Arriving in Otaru was like arriving on a distant planet: I must admit, I was completely thrown out of my comfort zone and spent the first few days being a hermit, unable to talk to anyone or even attempt to make friends. I'd spend my time walking around the city, buying stuff for my room at the dorm, and watching the first three seasons of The Big Bang Theory. It wasn't the healthiest approach, but it was better than going crazy and what not. Plus, it's The Big Bang Theory, it makes everything better.

Fortunately, as time has passed, I have managed to come out of my shell and befriend the other international students here, who come from countries as varied as the USA, France, Austria, Germany, Vietnam, China, Russia, and Korea. It's a blend of different cultures, personalities, and ways of thinking that seems scary (and at first, it was), but over time, everyone is beginning to settle in and find their place. Me? I'm the weird one who gets hyper off of one sugar bun and who like Saku Saku Panda cookies. Oh, my god. I friggin' love Saku Saku Panda cookies, the frig. They are so cute and silly and THEY ARE PANDAS, but they're so chocolatey and good and oishii (delicious), too. This has led to one person (whom I shall not name) to assume if I see anything cute, I'll eat it. I'll only eat cute Saku Saku Panda cookies.

A very sad panda indeed.

Or, to quote my abilities on the list of people and their rooms and such posted in the dorm lounge:

"Abilities: Speaking Japanese, music snob, future cat lady."

I've also managed to befriend a lot of the Japanese students here, which has not only helped my to become settled in, but it's also helping me practice my Japanese speaking skills. Which is good. *happy panda*

I'll continue my multiple part post next time, then after that, I intend to do weekly updates. That is, unless something wonderfully magical happens and I feel it necessary to make a post on it as soon as possible.

Until next time...

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment