Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Things I Have Learnt These Last Couple Of Months

It's been two months and two days since I left New Zealand, and since then, my life has changed so much I'm not entirely sure who I am anymore (in a good sense). Since my last blog post (New Zealand won a very close battle in the rugby, Mika and I almost killed each other throughout the game [much to the entertainment of our friends], and he was inconsolable afterwards), so much stuff has been happening that I haven't even been able to update my blog. Or send postcards. Sorry, everyone expecting a postcard or letter, I will get that done!
But, anyway, because it's late at night and I can't be bothered writing a detailed post right now, here's another list of things I have learnt these last few months:
  • I am now considered 'one of the boys' in the dorm, but I am still too short and awkward to play basketball.
  • I can, however, play badminton quite well.
  • Cheesecake is always amazing.
  • So are donuts. But not as a substitute for breakfast and lunch.
  • Turns out I can fit clothes here. Expect a fashion post sometime.
  • The whole 'kawaii' thing I apparently have going seems to work to my advantage. Kind of. Maybe not. Meh.
  • Discussing politics and NZ and French economics at 3am will result in my friend Sunny (aka the Chinese girl disguised as a Frenchman) and I being considered not normal. Especially when gay politics are discussed.
  • I may not suit hipster glasses, but I suit all kinds of hats.
  • Amazon sent me a French dictionary, and they were kind enough to include two bags of air. I kid you not.
  • Law and Legal Process is the most awesome class ever. Our lecturer is taking us to a love hotel for a field trip. My group got to give the presentation, in which the term 'fuck friend' was said.
  • No, I have not done any previous 'personal research' on love hotels.
  • Finding out you've been accepted for a language teaching practicum, and finding out you're teaching business English to your fellow exchange friends, can feel awkward at first.
  • But then it gets better.
  • I will never shed my Hermione Granger image. Ever. And I'm fine with that.
  • 7 hours of karaoke in Sapporo will result in lethargy, a loss of voice, and emotional breakdowns due to lack of sleep (or taking photos of strange men listening to music in shops at 6am), but it's so worth it.
  • Susukino is amazing. That is all.
  • Community is an awesome TV show.
  • Movie marathons are still the best things ever.
  • So are Pokemon cellphone charm thingies. I have a Doryuzu. Or Minotaupe in French. Or Excedrill if you want to call it by its inane English name. It has steel drill claws that can drill through thick iron plates.
  • I speak rather good French when I'm drunk. I aim to also be able to speak it well when sober.
  • My desire to learn languages is growing. Add Spanish, Icelandic, and Greek to the list.
  • Sleep is important, but I keep forgetting that.
  • French music is awesome. I have discovered plenty of new musicians and bands thanks to the lads.
  • My male friends enjoy AKB48 a bit too much, especially the video for 'Heavy Rotation'.
  • My friend Sebastian is the king of making okonomiyaki.
  • He is also now ojiisan (grandfather). Or is it ojisan (uncle)?
  • My accent is easily mocked, but everyone thinks it's a cool accent, so it's out of admiration. I hope.
  • "Go to bed." "Go to bid? I'm not going to bid on anything." "Stop mocking my way of speaking!"
  • I STILL miss the company of cats. But I have a toy cat, a paisley print duck creature, and a llama to keep me company now.
  • Us YOUC kids know how to party. This results in photos taken by our friend Guillaume (now known to most of us as Gigi), but they usually do not see the light of day. Or get tagged on Facebook.
  • SNOW!
  • SO MUCH SNOW!
  • WAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
I recently also came to a decision that will probably upset a lot of people, but I have extended my stay in Otaru until August 2012. The decision was not made lightly, but I feel it's the right thing to do for my studies, and also it'll help with my Japanese skills. Any complaints may be directed to my Facebook message inbox or my Facebook wall, but it'll make me a sad panda.
And before anyone asks, no, I am still on my way to being a cat lady. This will be the same next blog post, whenever that may be.

Until next time...
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment