Thursday, December 1, 2011

雪の写真 / Snow Photos

Now Playing: Big Bang - Tonight

If you're one of those people who wasn't aware of the existence of the island of Hokkaido, Japan, or, on the other hand, you do know it exists but you aren't aware it's not really like Tokyo, here's another interesting fact about it: every winter, it gets covered in snow. Pure, white, powdery, snowy goodness. The stuff sticks around for half a year every autumn/winter/some of spring, and it's accompanied by extreme temperature drops. The lowest recorded temperature for the capital, Sapporo, is -20 degrees Celsius (-4 degrees Fahrenheit for my American friends). But, usually, it lingers around -5 degrees Celsius (23 degrees Fahrenheit).

For someone who has only seen maybe two or three impressive (I use the term loosely) snowfalls in her life, the snowfall in Otaru is nothing less than amazing. Also, because the snow back home was more wet and sludgy, the powder snow that falls here is like a dream come true for a southern hemisphere winter baby like myself.

So, for your viewing pleasure, some photos of the snow that has accumulated here in Otaru over the last few weeks.


Trust me, I'll be seeing this until at least April. My Kiwi friends and family, enjoy what may be a wonderful summer, I am more than a little bit jealous right now. :3

Until next time...
xoxo

P.S. In other news, some friends and I are starting a band. The happiness this is bringing me cannot be described. I have missed playing in a band so much (last time was in high school, which was practically during the days of the dinosaurs), so my soul is feeling very uplifted right now. Let's hope it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment